Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
So, what are the real benefits of weight loss surgery?
Apart from the obvious benefit of losing weight and therefore boosting self-confidence and self-esteem, bariatric surgery can provide many other health improvements. In particular it is known to help with the following conditions:
- Type II diabetes: Most patients will have either a complete remission of their diabetes or a marked improvement in their diabetic control.
- Hypertension: Most patients will be able to significantly reduce their medication for high blood pressure or may be able to stop it altogether.
- Reflux: Most patients experience a rapid improvement in the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (heartburn).
- Dyslipidaemia: Most patients show a complete resolution or a marked improvement in their abnormal blood fats, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Infertility: Weight loss can impact menstrual irregularities and can restore ovulation and, hence, fertility.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: Weight loss surgery can help improve the underlying hormonal problems in PCOS.
- Asthma: Most patients show a marked improvement in their asthma control after surgery.
- Sleep apnoea: Weight loss can have a dramatic impact on sleep apnoea, reducing both snoring and daytime fatigue.
- Stress incontinence: After surgery less pressure is placed on the bladder, which improves this condition.
- Liver disease: Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) is the term used for a condition where there is inflammation of the liver due to excessive fatty deposits. NASH is strongly associated with those people who carry a lot of excess weight around their middle. Surgery can have a rapid impact on this.
- Back pain and arthritis: Following surgery patients experience major improvements in the pain associated arthritis, joint and back problems. As less weight is placed on the joints general mobility is significantly improved.
- Depression: After surgery depressive symptoms and anxiety are less, social interaction is improved and a person’s overall psychological well-being is improved.
Of course, the main benefit of weight loss surgery is that it can significantly reduce or even eliminate some of the health risks that are associated with obesity . These include diabetes, heart disease, cancer and strokes. Such surgery can protect you from premature death and disability and can have enormous impact on your quality of life.
If you would like to know more about the benefits and advantages of weight loss surgery, contact us now on 01753 665480.